Friday, February 05, 2010

.child.

First and foremost, to those "following" my blog, I was SOOOOOO excited that I had 3 comments on a single post. :) That made me smile....almost as much as the following event.

So...first of all, I am one of the youngest people in my OT class. I'm 22, still working towards my B.S. degree, yet everyday I am surrounded by people in their mid-late 20's and even into their early 30's. On top of that, I have a child-like heart and nothing is really going to change that. One of the highlights of my week would be when the oldest person in our class (she's 33, and one of my favorite people in the program) saw me eating my lunch. She seemed to got a huge laugh out of my seemingly normal lunch. I had a peanut butter sandwich, applesauce cup, fruit snacks, and a Capri Sun. She was making fun of me for being 10+ years younger than her and she just thought that I was so funny for having a "little kid" lunch. Then another friend added to the fact that I reminded her of 5 year old children with my absolute silliness and dumb jokes.

After going grocery shopping today and purchasing Toy Story fruit snacks, I kinda realized what a child I am at heart. Honestly, I suppose I could be upset that others view me as a funny, child-like 20-something...but I don't! :) I'm quite happy with the way I am and I wouldn't change anything about it. After randomly thinking about my child-like qualities, I looked up these verses and they make me quite happy. :) The humility and happiness of a child is quite contagious and I think that my personality has influenced my passion for children.

Matthew 18:3-4.........and he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."

Although I like the reference to children here, the title of the section strikes me most. The Message calls this section "Whoever Becomes Simple Again". Being humble, simple, and joyful is generally easy for me, because it's just the way I am, but I see so often that it is VERY difficult for people in our society today. Our world is very much caught up in the materialistic aspect of "who has the best ____", etc, etc. Simple and humble might not be the most exciting way to live, but if it is what He is calling us to do, I believe He is challenging us ALL to become more like children...to an extent.

So here I am....22 years old...but apparently to some, I may be 5. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment