So...I said I wouldn't start the whole obsessive computer/blog/Facebook thing again until my grades are better. They are in the process of getting better, but I just had to post about my weekend. Honestly, last week was probably the lowest of lows I've had in a long time. Basically, I went to class all day and then came home and studied all night until bed. Being surrounded by 51 other people going through the same stuff didn't make things any easier. By the time we reached Thursday (4 tests on one day), someone cried in every class we had. Woohoo for being in a class that's 90% female. ;) Regardless, by the time that day and week was over, all I needed was a sense of peace. I found that in two amazing places. Number one: in the Word. Although that seems obvious, it is SO easy for me to overlook that and turn to people and worldly things when my world comes crashing down. Honestly, there isn't a way I could have done this week without trusting in Him and staying focused on the Word. Number two: BW. It blows my mind to know that I barely knew this place a year ago. Even went I went for my interview over a year ago, I could feel "the magic of the woods" and see the beauty of His work. Thinking about going to camp was about the only thing getting me through my week. Since going home isn't really an option for my weekends, going to my summer home with my "camp family" is just as good. Being able to spend ~42 hours with some wonderful people was exactly what I needed.
I spent my weekend with 17 adults with cerebral palsy and a dozen staff members...in a BEAUTIFUL house. The Manor is nearly 100 years old and it's decorated BEAUTIFULLY and authentic to the time period inside. Being in there in one building all weekend with awesome people and some of my closest camp friends was AMAZING. What a cool cool thing to be sitting around a HUGE 20+ person dining room table with more than half of the people in wheelchairs. Just being able to look at all of the faces down the kitchen table and realize how blessed I am to be a part of something so great...that puts things into perspective. Granted, I probably spent close to 6 hours in the bathroom over the weekend, woke up multiple times every night to attend to campers' needs, my back is currently killing me from so many transfers, and I had two roommates who were moderate to maximum assist with just about every activity imaginable, I couldn't have asked for a better weekend. To be honest, I'm sure we looked crazy with people in wheelchairs outnumbering people walking around the building, but it was just SO incredibly fun. I absolutely loved spending time with my roommates for the weekend and quite frankly, it was so humbling to be able to serve them in every way, whether is was transferring them to their wheelchairs or helping with arts and crafts.
Basically what it comes down to is that I am SO thankful that God has given me a tangible way to find peace, happiness, and experience something as wonderful as BW. Striving ways to find peace are incredibly difficult in our busy-body society and I couldn't imagine how I could persevere through any struggles without the Word. And although I'm not extremely happy where I right now in life, I am thankful that God has given me encouragement through the Word and a place to consistently experience joy in my life.
love it. so glad you wee able to find the peace after such a horrible week :)
ReplyDeleteand also, glad you're back, at least somewhat. I missed reading your posts :)