My lack of posting can be attributed to my crazy life the last two-ish weeks. There's the whole glory of finals which means loads of studying for tests (WHICH I did pass the semester...bring it on Year 2 of OT school!) and not much time for facebooking. As soon as school ended, there was the glory of the "2010 Dehydration Ambulation", which is fancy talk for OT PARTY!!! After that wonderful extravaganza came two days of moving...first my roommate into her new apartment for after the wedding and then a day of moving my stuff to the new place. (Side note: I shall post pictures on facebook of the place, but is a house split into two houses a duplex, condo, or townhouse? I have no idea what to call my new place.) Then was the whole graduation thing. Quite entertaining, but quite full of emotions....thennnnnn comes fieldwork. I'm at a facility that is a 45 minute drive from my place (BUT I drive past camp when I go there, which makes up for having to drive that long!) and I work with a geriatric population...mainly all people with dementia. Best of all, I get to make that early drive in order to start working at about 6:45 AM. All of the above-mentioned events cause me to crawl in bed about 9:15 every night, type paperwork for an hour, and then go to bed and repeat. It's definitely been a whirlwind but I'm learning all sorts of things. However, it's been tough. Working 9 hour days with a population that is VERY difficult for me has been challenging. I requested a geriatric rotation just to "test the waters" and I'm actually enjoying some of it. I love the people I'm working with and some of the residents are actually really cute!
Thursday I was especially drained from the work AND I had to do my first intervention WHICH we have yet to learn anything about intervention in school. I was basically a nervous wreck for an hour AND to make it even better, my client (with alcohol induced dementia) started freaking out on me during therapy. Not ideal, whatsoever. On top of that, I had to stay REALLY late on Thursday doing some home health visits and home evaluations that I barely made it home in time for church at 730. Honestly, by the time I got to church I just wasn't really wanting to be there UNTIL (insert extreme excitement here) I was attacked with a killer huge running hug from a dear friend. One of my friends from our Bible study moved back to Florida in December and it's been hard to keep in touch with her BUT she came back for a surprise visit which TOTALLY made my day. Someone took pictures of everyone's reactions when we saw her and I hope they make Facebook sometime soon. Basically, I looked like a 5 year old in a candy shop when I saw her...seriously, the best surprise EVER! Another side note I must add about a quote from a nursing home client: "Hi honey. I'm gonna call you my pretty little monkey. And if I forget later what I called you, just tell me that's what I wanna call you." Precious, right?!
Regardless, I just love love love that God is using the smallest moments to leave lasting marks on me even in these crazy times. That's good stuff. :)
Saturday, May 08, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm so glad you were able to post so I could catch up with you on your life in the past few weeks since you've been so busy :) praying for you!
ReplyDeleteHi! I'm erin, can't remember if I already introduced myself. Anyway, I'm Amber's baby sister.
ReplyDeleteI think duplex.
And I love your nickname. I think everyone should call you that from now on.