I love that every time I go to camp, I learn something new...not just interesting medical procedures, but more about LOVE (and how much I generally fail at loving everyone!) God used two people to teach me more about love in 40 hours than I could have imagined. First was a young adult with severe cognitive delays and sensory needs...basically he just needs someone to walk around behind him with his walker 24/7. He walks and walks and walks and that's it. There's no expecting this guy to do an activity or socialize with others. He also has a reputation at camp as being a difficult and hitting most staff when they work with him for the first time....AND THEN I got asked to work on my first "duty" with him...which somehow turned into 2 1/2 hours of walking circles around the first floor of this mansion house (where we were staying) with him. It's just AMAZING to me how important non-verbal communication is and how sensitive people can be to the sense of touch. During my 2 1/2 hours, the guy stomped his feet a few times (meaning that he was happy), reached out to hold my hand a couple times, and only hit my arm 5 times (pretty good since he greets a lot of staff with a smack to the face!). SO cool to get to spend that time with him.
THEN the weekend progresses with my roommate. We were sleeping in "the slaves' room" in the mansion, so it was an itty bitty 2-bed room in the attic. It was just myself sleeping in a room and caring for a 43 year old woman with cerebral palsy. Her CP has left her speech nearly impossible to understand (at first) and hardly any motion at her joints, other than her shoulder, hips, and elbows. Needless to say, it was an extremely loooooooong first night as I was trying to figure out how she likes to get ready for bed/understand her speech/not lie awake alllllll night because I was SO scared she'd call out to me in the night and I'd be passed out in my bed. But luckily, I slept extreeeeeeeemely light so I heard her every time she tried to say my name (and also every time she snored and ground her teeth...hahaha). But the weekend continued and I found out how hilarious she was and I got to be really good at understanding her speech. Just a cool lesson that He continues to show me through campers about how to PATIENTLY love others, even when it's getting on my nerves. <3
Wednesday, December 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment