I just spent over 1 1/2 hours packing up all my stuff to move back to Indianapolis after a 3 1/2 week stay in Findlay. Really, it shouldn't be that bad...but let's be honest....I had to bring EVERY board game and DVD that I THOUGHT I might want to watch while I was in Ohio. Oops. Regardless, as I am laying here thinking about the looooong snowy drive that consumes most of my day tomorrow, I'm stuck pondering the word 'home'.
Out of habit, I call Findlay my 'home', but I'm at the point in my life where I'll be a college graduate in less than 4 months (!!!!), I spent last summer and will spend this summer at camp, and spend 8-9 months of the year in Indy at school, so really I'm not in Findlay that much. When I looked at my plans for 2010, I realized that other than visiting during Spring Break and Easter weekend, I probably won't be in Findlay again until August. Weeeeeeeird. Something about that is just unsettling....however, I have come to the cliche conclusion that some genius once said, "Home is where the heart is".
Really, things couldn't get more true than that. I just think the word 'home' is incredibly difficult for college students to define as we're constantly bouncing back between university life and our hometowns. When I'm in Indianapolis, I'm surrounded by my UIndy and Indian Creek "families", when I'm at camp I'm with my camp family, and when I'm in Findlay I have my parents/sister, church family, and swim family. I thank God that I have so many different "families" who care for me no matter where I am. Being with my camp/church/Indianapolis families makes life bearable when I can't see my sister/parents as much as I'd like to and vice versa. And then there are my "far away friends" who I just facebook/call/text daily; I couldn't make it without them either! :)
Side note: My mom and I also had a 'big girl moment' while we were at the Toledo Museum of Art yesterday. She picked some terribly creepy painting and told me I should "take it home and hang it in the apartment". Hearing her call Indianapolis my home was pretty strange to hear, but I've realized that's really what it is to me. Being in Findlay the last 3 1/2 weeks has really made me realize that I am SO blessed to have so many wonderful people supporting me wherever life is leading me....and no matter where I go, I'll always be a buckeye at heart <3
Friday, January 08, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
hi :) I really like the we're blog buddies. and also, I totally understand what you mean. home really is where the heart is..when I was in Phx, I'd call Ohio "home." when I was in Ohio visiting people, I'd refer to Phx as "home." everywhere I have lived and any place I am currently living that keeps me warm, fed and comfortable, with people I know and love = home for me.
ReplyDelete